Jennifer K. Hale
I didn’t go to school to be a writer, nor have I written the next great American novel (yet), but I’ve always loved to read, and I dabbled in writing fiction from a young age. Yet it wasn’t until a few years ago that God opened the “writing door” and pushed me through it. During a time when I was struggling with infertility, He inspired my first real novel as an outlet and escape, something for me to focus on other than the obsession of getting pregnant. (Yes, it does become an obsession when you have infertility troubles. You can read more about our secondary infertility story here and here.) Anyway, long story short, God inspired and I listened, responded, took a leap of faith, and was signed by Rachel Kent of Books & Such Literary Agency. I’ve completed several more novels since, and God continues to bless as I heed his calling and seek his will for my life. This adventure as a writer has been just that–adventurous–sometimes scary, sometimes thrilling, and always full of more joy and blessings than I could have imagined.
Things you should know about me:
I’m a hopeless romantic living in a Thomas the Train world. Literally. Thanks to my three adorable sons, I’m surrounded by tiny engines from the Island of Sodor at all times, and I have to tell you, they are not fun to step on. Thankfully, my Super-hubby often helps to rescue our home from the toys that threaten to take over.
– I’m a sinner saved by the Grace of God, a wife by blessing, a mother by miracle, and a teacher and writer by trade.
– To me Christianity is more than just going through the motions. It’s about becoming a disciple of Christ, and this is a conscious, daily choice.
– My current career is stay-at-home mommy/writer, but I used to be a high school history and social studies teacher and I L.O.V.E.D. it. Maybe I’ll go back someday.
– I write contemporary and historical romantic fiction for the Christian market.
– I have been married to my husband for more than 10 years. He’s become the master of putting up with my crazy, so there’s no way I’m ever letting him go.
– As I mentioned above, I have three adorable, loveable, yet loud and crazy sons whom I love more than anything in this world.
– I’m fascinated by World Religions. All of them. I’ve become a self-professed expert and teach a class through my church called World Religions 101: Understanding Theirs So You Can Share Yours. Don’t freak out if you see me post or tweet about another religion. I do so with the intention of sharing the Gospel with the world.
– I love history, especially European history. I could read history books all day. (What? There’s nothing weird about that.)
– I’m a serious chocoholic.
– Purple is my favorite color.
– I am a huge fan of Broadway & movie musicals.
– I love all things UK. We often have “accent” day in our house (Okay, I have accent day) and I might be British, Irish, or Scottish. (This is another thing that is not weird. I promise. It’s cultural.)
– I love a clean house, but mine seldom is.
– I’m a southern gal, but I am also an Army brat, so I moved around a lot as a kid. My family and I currently make our home in the South where we regularly eat grits and drink sweet tea and watch football.
– I am a hopeless romantic. There’s no shame in it. Jane Austen is my hero.
– I love to sing. Loudly.
– The one person on earth I’d really love to meet is Julie Andrews.
– I love travel. I’ve been to Europe a few times, and I would love to go back. My favorite city is London. Someday I’d love to live in the UK and I’d really love to go to India.